Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Everchanging


"In the face
Of change
That's when she turned to me and said
"I'm not sure anymore"..."

Around the end of November last year I ended an incredibly tumultuous relationship. I have written about this break up before but it only seems to be sinking in now.  

"Have you ever been a part of something
That you thought would never end?
And then, of course it did
Have you ever felt the weight inside you
Pulling away inside your skin?
And then something had to give..."

Even though I ended it, for reasons that remain unchanged, I still miss him.When you start a relationship you honestly think that it will never end. That's the point right? We did fight from the beginning and we gave it a good two and a bit years of blood, sweat and tears. 

"Now the lines are drawn
Is this feeling gone?
The best parts of this have come and gone
And now that is all this is
With the reasons clear
We'll spend another year
Without direction, full of fear
And now things will be different

There's nothing simple when it comes to you and I
Always something in this everchanging life
And there probably always will
Now that time is getting harder to come by,
The same arguments are always on our mind
{We've} killed this slowly fading light..."


The feeling will never be gone. I will never stop loving him and I will never love someone the way I loved him. He was my first love. My first relationship. He claimed my heart first. I will love differently one day, but I will never love as intensely. I believe that to love as intensely as we did was one of the reasons why we failed. Two flames create a hyper-fire. The energy created cannot be contained. I need to be with someone who balances me out, in essence the water to my fire. I have taken a year off to find me again. To reassess my priorities in life. The relationship stripped me of my identity. It did what a relationship is not meant to do. I lost me along the way. I became introverted, angry and overweight. Everything I had fought so hard to change over the years. When the relationship started I was healthy, bubbly and fun. I will never blame him for what happened, we are both to blame. We literally brought out the worst in each other. I can tell you now that I have never been more scared in my life. I have to re-learn who I am. I have to learn to be alone and to be comfortable with me again. 

"Now let's say that something (hey) 
Has kept me here too long 
And you can't leave me (hey) 
If I'm already gone

And we make the same mistakes
We're always hanging on
Break the promises we're always leaning on
All this time spent waking up
{Now I} keep this line open to get this call from you
{As you} speak the words that keep me coming back to you..."

The four or five months that it has been seems to make it more final. The initial break up isn't as bad as you are in shock, but now the reality of it sets in. I can't make the same mistakes again. I respect myself, I respect him. We do always break the promises. If only he would give up on trying to contact me. It is only hurting him, and me. I do love you, but I cannot be in love with you. I can't come back to you. 

"Now this time it's all different..."
- Rise Against, Everchanging. 









2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've been in a similar relationship before where there wasn't space for anything but the other person and everything else fell to the wayside; it's really difficult to grow and develop as a person in that scenario, it becomes all-consuming. I never thought I would get over it, I was in so much pain for such a long time but, to be honest, he did me a favour my travelling overseas and cutting contact with me for those months that I needed to heal. A year later I met a guy who, on first impression wasn't my type at all, and the relationship started out on a completely different footing- relaxed and calm (which was really weird for me). I don't think that you can have two people with the same personality types or issues in a relationship because you'll destroy each other. While I'm hot-headed, he is calm and will always take a step back to cool things down. My wish for you is that you find someone like that one day...it may not be what all those movies make love out to be-love and lust and fire- but it turns out being a healthier, more special and enduring kind of love in the long term.
Mia.X

Danielle said...

Thank you Mia for taking the time to read the post. Everything you have said I relate to. You are absolutely correct (in my opinion and experience) in saying that people who are the same personality wise and energy, that getting together will end in disaster. I am so overjoyed that you have found the guy who balances you out and I wish you absolute happiness, and I hope your journey with him continues. Thank you for your very kind words. I know I will find someone to complement me one day. I am not the romantic "idealistic" type. I may be in the film and TV industry but I haven't fallen for the tricks yet. Keep loving. Thanks for reading.