Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Alive and Well

My dream came true 2 weeks ago when Rise Against finally played on South African shores. I was not as excited as I thought I would have been in the weeks following up, then again, I tend to play things down nowadays. I played all their albums on repeat for two weeks before to get psyched and re-acquainted with my old faves (not that I needed much playtime - I know those songs backwards, just saying). The Saturday of Ramfest arrived and it was raining. Of course it was. One cannot experience pure delight without a little rain in your eyeball. I had some family missions to complete before I headed off to Ramfest to join my friends in the drinking arena. Now I was excited. The bands and acts before Rise Against were a blur. Bring Me The Horizon, which I was as excited to see, were shit, as far as I was concerned. A few songs and they were off. 
Now the anticipation began as Rise Against's crew set up. Then Tim came on, I cried. This was actually happening. My dream was being fulfilled. My friend Ali stared at me as if I was mental. I like them okay? I sang along until my lungs and throat gave out. All I had ever wanted was to hear "Alive and Well" live. I was under the impression that they no longer sang songs from their older albums, well I was wrong. I don't think I have ever screamed or sang a song so loud in my life. I truly felt "Alive and Well". The band represents everything that a punk band should be; positive, fast, confident, humble and political. I have grown up with their music and it has defined my teenage years. Whenever something went wrong or I needed and explanation, I sought solace in the words and chords of Tim McIlrath and co. 


To this day I still can't believe that I saw them. What gives me great comfort is that the band does not take what it does for granted and they understand the impact they have on people's lives through music. I will forever hold them and this experience in my heart. 




No comments: