Monday, November 14, 2011

The Kings Named Leon

About two weekends ago the much anticipated Kings of Leon concert came and went. Having been a fan for some 8 years now I was very keen to see them live. Paul of course felt the same way. Our expectations were reserved as we understood who these gents were, and knew that they were not about to deliver an energetic, blow-your-face-off, "we-are-the-shit" live performance. They have gained massive notoriety over the last four years what with "Sex on Fire", "Use Somebody", and "Radioactive". They were famous, plain and simple. I remember thinking, years ago, if they were to become famous I would be really bleak. They are too cool for everyone else. It sounds cocky and possessive, but I love them that much. Lo and behold the family band make it big. The albums get worse and albums sales go up.


I read on Bangers and Nash about his experience in Cape Town and he confirmed all my worst fears. The crowd was filled with drunken, lumo-outfitted, last two album owning, 5fm / chart topper listening JOCKS! As it is written, as it was in Joburg. Paul and I were so bleak. The concert was ruined for us by a bunch of Bacardi-Breezer drinking, Sex on Fire sing-along chicks and dicks in dress up.


I am sorry. But what about the Kings of Leon provokes one to don lumo, tiaras, devil horns, and other such head attire that either glows, flashes or has glitter on it. They are a Nashville country rock blues band. For fucks sake!


However, they were INCREDIBLE!
The best live band I have ever seen. They were on key, they were professional. They were on time. They were well rehearsed. They were sober. They were polite. They may not have spoken much, but having spoken to other people regarding their live performances, that is how they roll. I am sad there is tension in the group. They are pure and unadulterated wonderful rock and roll. I sang my heart out and cried when they sang "The Bucket". I am sad they did not sing "Milk", but all in all they were pure perfection.


The event organisers were also super professional and all our transfers to and from Soccer City were flawless!


I did state, and I maintain that I will never be going to another radio sponsored concert (i.e. 5fm) - too many "fans".


Peace!

 

No comments: