Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Take It or Leave It

"The one important thing
 I have learned over the years
 is the difference between
taking one's work seriously
 and taking one's self seriously. 
The first is imperative and 
the second is disastrous..."
- Margot Fonteyn -  Prima Ballerina Assoluta


I adore Ballet. I do not dance it. Although I was enrolled in classes from the age of 4 like most young girls. My mother was a ballerina and even taught up until the 8th month of her pregnancy with me. Her love of dance and ballet rubbed off on me. I did not carry doing it but my love and admiration for it did not go. I recall as a little girl paging through the many ballet and dance books we have. Learning about the origins of dance and being dazzled by the look of the dancer on pointe, and the magical costumes. Over the years I have accompanied my mom to many ballet productions and seen some of the best dancers from around the world. The dedication, poise and tenacity of each dancer is highly admirable. I personally feel  that dancing is far harder than singing. The struggles that the body has to go through and thus the mind overcome is overwhelming. There is the dark side of ballet, like modelling where the dancers harshly monitor their food intake, to be the lightest, slimmest dancer out there. I however just like to watch them... Fouetté en tournant, grand jeté and entrechat-quatre.

No comments: