Friday, August 26, 2011

What I'm Reading...

Read is a four letter word to me... I'm being sarcastic not literal of course.This is an ironic predicament because I adore the written word . I absorb so many online articles, magazines, and crosswords. I am filled with good intention. I mean my bookshelf is full of wonderful authors and stories.It seems I have a block. I will pick up a book, full of excitement, begin reading the first few pages, make it about a chapter in; it will hit my bedside table and there it will become the coaster on which I place my drinks and other items. It will gather dust and eventually be retired to the bookshelf... of death.


I have tried, I really have. In this entire year I have finished one whole book, which I started in December last year. Chuck Palahniuk's "Non-Fiction". The book is brilliant. I think I stopped reading it because I left it in a camera bag and forgot about it. Then I thought I was on a roll, so I promptly bought more books of the same ilk. More Chuck's, a Hunter S. Thompson. For a while I was even reading "When Hungry, Eat" by Joanne Fedler, I had heard good things about this book. Being a girl of the "curvy" persuasion I thought I'd give it a read. It was awesome for the first half. Then I got bored of being preached too. A fatty was telling another fatty to diet, please girl, fuck off. That is more than likely not the intended message and I cannot give it a full review as I never finished the book, oh like most diets HA HA.


So I then turned to Chuck again, one of my new purchases. One of his newer publications, "Rant". I thought this would be it, the one to break the curse. Nope, it too hit the shelves.


So then my mom mentioned that she had the much lauded book, "The Help" by Kathryn Stockett. I had seen this book on the shelves of Exclusive books a while back and the black and white cover paired with the title really drew me too it. I had to read it. Then when I got to Cape Town my gran was raving to me about it. I had to read it. Then my mom had it. 


Now I am reading it. I make no promises, I am a mere two chapters in, but I am liking it. 


I'll fill you in at a later stage. Reading with me is a slow process, but then so is losing weight. HA HA.


No comments: