Thursday, May 19, 2011

My Baby's Last Photo Session

I rummaged through my drawers the other day and found my Casio digital camera. The battery had died and I wondered what was on it. I then remembered. Sabrina's last pictures. I cringed and put the camera back into the drawer knowing full-well that I would have to face them one day. Today was that day. I took the camera out, charged the battery and loaded the images onto my PC.


My darling...


So sweet, so old, always tired towards the end. Her face so grey and aged she looked like a panda in the negative. 


I miss her everyday, I don't expect that to change, but what I know for sure is that the pang and hurt of loss will lessen more and more as each day passes. 


This is my favourite poem by John Donne. For my Sabrina, up there somewhere beautiful.

"Death, be not proud, though some have callèd thee
   Mighty and dreadful, for thou art not so ;
   For those whom thou think’st thou dost overthrow
Die not, poor Death, nor yet canst thou kill me.
From rest and sleep, which but thy pictures be,
   Much pleasure―then, from thee much more must flow ;
   And soonest our best men with thee do go,
Rest of their bones and soul’s delivery.
Thou’rt slave to fate, chance, kings and desperate men,
   And dost with poison, war, and sickness dwell ;
   And poppy or charms can make us sleep as well,
And better than thy stroke. Why swell’st thou then ?
   One short sleep past, we wake eternally,
   And death shall be no more. Death, thou shalt die..."
- Death, be not Proud by John Donne

No comments: