Monday, January 11, 2010

Torn Between Two Cities

I have to apologise for the two week long hiatus in posting. I have basically just arrived back from Cape Town (okay a weekend has passed) but I have just gotten back into the swing of things.

I am in love... with Cape Town and Johannesburg. Cape Town is the city I was born in and holiday in. Johannesburg is the city I was raised in and currently live in. I love them both so dearly.

When I left Cape Town I was so deeply saddened and my heart did break. I got home and sobbed. Most would put it down to post-party depression. However I leave behind my family whom I miss the entire year... and now little Ben is there.

I feel the same way when I look at Johannesburg, the city that has shaped me. It is vibrant, aggressive, fresh and exciting. Qualities that I admire. I am a proud Jozi Girl!

I had such a wonderful holiday in Cape Town. I loved spending time with my family. Laughing with my gran, taking Ben for beach front walks with my aunt Tracy, admiring the city and mountain in the setting sun as we set sail into the open ocean one Saturday afternoon. Shopping and walking the streets of town with my sissy, Cayla, and partying with my coz Jess... What fun!

Cape Town has such an arty, quirky vibe about it which filters down to the people. The uber-trendy, too-cool-for-school scene kids have more tattoos than I could dream of, wearing clothes I think my mom has thrown away. It makes me want more tattoos! I too want to sit at the one of sidewalk cafes and sip on an organic coffee latte as we talk about Sartre. You know I am only kidding right. This is simply an observation (my sister and I on the Cape Town kids)

I think the main difference between Cape Town and Jozi are the drivers. Jozi drivers are impatient and aggressive whereas Cape Townians are chilled and have no sense of urgency. I don't mean this in a nasty way. This is simply an observation that I know every South African is well aware of.

I would love to post all the wonderful pictures that I took documenting my holiday. However my newly acquired Casio was pinched, along with my cellphone, at pumpkin hour, on New Years. It's always fun to have your possessions stolen when you are celebrating. However I soldiered on and had a cool, memorable holiday nonetheless.

I hope to have some pics sent up that I took on my Aunt's cam whilst we were on the Sunset Cruise. If I receive these I shall post them and thus share with all you lovelies!!

No comments: