Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Weekend Away at Phinda

One of my mom's closest friends gave her a call on Thursday and asked her if she might be keen on a weekend away at Phinda Game Reserve, there was a room available at the Homestead. Two photographers from the College of Digital Photography were coming along for the weekend and she thought that my dad might benefit from what they might have to say about wildlife pic taking. So my mom then suggested that I go instead. I of course was thrilled. I am always keen to brush up on my photography skills, and I am in love with the game reserve. So Saturday morning came and we departed for Kwa Zulu Natal. It was a long, bumpy drive but when we finally got to the luxury Homestead we were greeted by the warm staff. What an awesome vibe. I felt so blessed.


Love this couch ^^


Lunch and then game drive #1. The food, oh the food was incredible. Faith, the resident chef, cooked us meals I only dreamed of. You may be in the middle of the bush, but no costs or corners are cut, it was brillo! 
Fresh bread baked daily


Faith, the awesome chef



The rooms are gorgeous, well designed and have every amenity (plus!) that you would have in your own home. Forget something, no worries, it will be there. Modern meets nature. Very cool. I did smack my head on a shelf, but hey I am clumsy, you all know this. 

Lounging in the sun on the deck on Sunday afternoon between breakfast and lunch, I was met by a family of warthogs who came to graze a metre away from me. I loved that they were so close to me and that they felt so at ease to be this close to me, yet I also did not want to startle the piglets when I moved. Bliss. It is the only word I can use in summation of my weekend away in Phinda at the Homestead. I adore going on game drives and I went on four (being guided by some of the best in the country). I love eating some great food and was treated to excellent meals of excellent quality. I was really spoiled this weekend and am incredibly privileged. I would just like to thank Karen and of course my dad for the time away. Looking forward to doing it again.  

P.S. The weekend away was basically an opportunity to learn more about wildlife photography. I took lots and lots of pics and they will be posted soon. Much love!

No comments: