Thursday, February 25, 2010

Material Girl

"Some boys kiss me, some boys hug me,
I think they're O.K...

You know that we are living in a material world,
And I am a material girl..."
- Material Girl by Madonna

All girls have a thing for some item of clothing or material item, I have a thing for four of them. Shoes, scarves, sunglasses and handbags. Simple things haha. I am not a materialistic gal, but I do have a penchant and appreciation for the finer things in life. I know my designers and my China Crappo. Here are a few things on my "wishlist".

Heels
This particular shoe is not made by any reputable designer (Dolce Vita) but it is in the must-have shade / tone / colour of the season (year) ... Nude. I have this shoe. It is gorgeous.
Dolce Vita Nude Heels

These shoes are made by Iron Fist. I swoon over these shoes when I see them. They are colourful and I admire the design team at Iron Fist for being so creative and awesome. I will own a pair one day. Please lower your prices!
Man's Ruin

Digiskull

and now... For the Grand Dame of all heels Christian Louboutin

I do also enjoy practical shoes and wear them most often. I love, love, love Vans and have owned many a pair over the years. I love their Classic American styling. Original Skaters! Going to their stores in the States was thrilling for me. Sounds lame I know, but I am a girl and I do enjoy a good shop sometimes (sometimes).


Sunglasses
I collect sunglasses. I have amassed a sizable collection over the years of vintage, retro and new sunglasses. I find I can never own enough of them and will probably never stop collecting them. I wear a new pair every week (I wear whichever pair I feel like). New sunglasses, new persona. I love it!

These are a pair of Louis Vuitton "Bindi" sunglasses. They are actually a 2007 design. I love them. I asked my dad to find me a pair when he was in Turkey back in 2007. I saw them in the Louis Vuitton store in Sandton City (so overpriced). I have a very similar pair in cream which were in fact my mom's when she was my age. I of course wore them a lot. I still want them. Someday my Sheikh will come.
Dior Glossy - so gorgeous

Scarves
This scarf was designed by the late, great Alexander McQueen. It is not exactly a classic. He was described as an aggressive designer and I think this scarf is an example of that. Not many people would put skulls all over their designs and get away with it. Especially an established designer. He did it, celebs loved it, donned it and I love it. I will own one. Until then... Someday my Sheikh will come...

...and finally...

Handbags
I collect these too. Not quite on the scale that I collect sunglasses, although my cupboard would tell another story. No designer bags here. Just designer dreams. I remember when I first saw the Jimmy Choo studded star handbag in the Elle magazine, I was awestruck. I never get like that with "things". I then found out that the Jimmy Choo store had opened up in Cape Town at the V&A Waterfront and this girl had to check it out. Well when I was in Cape Town of course, and did I ever. I walked into the store and saw it's matching shoe sitting there. I took a glance around the store and thought it may not be in, but then I thought, don't be silly, ask the lady. So I asked and lo-and-behold. It was stowed in the back like a little slave boy. Then I saw it. It was awesome and also R18 000. So I got puppy eyed and handed it back. Goodbye my beauty. Someday my Sheikh will come.

No comments: